Monday, February 18, 2013

Freedom
we had nowhere to go but anywhere we wanted to and nobody to stop us but ourselves we were finally on our own
(how do i cope how do i get by what am i supposed to do)
this world is my oyster and i can take it in my hands and do with it what i please
maybe ill be a doctor or a lawyer or a chef or a banker or a construction worker or a professional athlete or a goddamn two-headed dragon if i want to
(im scared im lost im confused where do i go)
maybe ill move to china to teach english or maybe ill move to the middle east and strike oil and hey i heard its a great time to invest in apple
im tired though i just need sleep
(drink some coffee maybe an energy drink youll sleep when youre dead)
this space we occupy is so mundane that maybe ill just slip off the face of consciousness
(this world we live in is so intricate i cannot help but to lose myself in all of it)
to be something or to be nothing at all is being decided
i want to be something, i just cant decide between a knight in shining armor or the first man to walk on the face of the sun
(or maybe i want to be nothing and slip into a profound state of indifference)


heads or tails
(ill decide tomorrow)
isnt there somebody i can call who will tell me
is there an answer or a reason
(i am the answer i am the reason)
this world is my oyster, remember 
i think being a doctor sounds nice
or maybe a lawyer
being a chef would be fun
nothing would be better than being a dragon though
i think ill decide tomorrow

This pretty much just describes my general sense of confusion about life right now.

2 comments:

  1. YES! I love a little internal debate/conflict it's where the best things stem from. Great approach in relaying your struggles...I like the way you began with "Freedom", but then relayed the burdens of freedom "to be anything", "to go anywhere", it's kind of a hindrance and i empathize with this idea of infinite possibilities. I enjoyed the phrase "a goddamn two-headed dragon if i want to", it opens up a lot of room for interpretation; frustration, humor, ridiculousness of "being something"...It's hard to know right off "what to be", and it's annoying that we have to be something, but that's the way the system works, specialization of the human...I agree with the dragon thought, i mean, dragons can fly and also burn up everything in their paths...maybe i'll grow up to be a dragon too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. This is something we can all relate to. We are being thrown in all different directions about figuring out what to do with ourselves without any real guidance, being told I can't decide for you. I like the contrast between the regular lines and the lines in s parentheses. To me it seems like the parentheses statements are in your head, confusion and frustration at times. It is something we all feel and you represented it really well. This camera eye is so true it almost made me emotional haha. I like the last line in the first section a lot. It really speaks to me, i recently changed my major and I was freaking out about what I wanted to do I thought I was supposed to have everything figured out already and then I decided what I was going for I didn't want. I did have that sense of maybe I'm not supposed to be in college right now. I think everything just fits in here so well and it's a great camera eye, something that we all feel and you put it into words. Great job

    ReplyDelete