Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Camera Eye (1)



(gaze turns outward) shadows shift, planet rotates, while all
v i b ra tes to that eternal song:
(the flies eyes don't lie, my eyes don't lie)
the dancing branches, the rocks infinitely BIG & small,
the coasting bird sailing in all directions known

the     s   p   a  c  e         vacant
of matter,
              matter vacant of $ymbol and title
ALL GOD, all mysteriously near
(but far from comprehension)
penning the last word in place; emotions soar
((quietly)) above and beyond anything tangible.

i love love.

walking slowly, composed and compiled
from the same stuff around me,
playing mind games
for the same sake kids play; excitement, adventure
is what the young know.

curiously feeling for the first time, making new from same;
what same? boredom and lack of imagination creates the same,
isolating intervals (to reach a goal, to solve puzzles, to reduce
conduce, contrive) no time...
"i've been here before."
i say false, "here" is a concept of specific focuses in a relative location;
no moment the same, (no moment) constant flux, gradual decay,
coming, going, everything a little less or a little more here than before.
             nothing repeats
             nothing repeats
             no-thing repeats

meditation takes over,
eyes OPEN glossed over by the infinite;
(time isn't here)
come to, only moments passed in eternity.
(deep) in the sense of unrecognizable,
ALL leaves titles behind, declaration of specifics
creates inevitable bias-ness by the subject,

when i meditate...

i return with a smile, seeing things for the first time     again,
rejuvenation of senses, a point of departure, a feeling of stillness, (time-less)
(to meditate long isn't the goal, but to see GOD in ALL.

mind                       quiet
eyes       piercing                 forward   (through eye-lids)
spine straight, belly breathing  D
                                                eep
nostrils flare, belly e  x  p  a  n  d  ssss
(seeking a forever point just above my being).                 STILLNESS
diaphragm retracts, nostrils slow ly
re leasing warm life into the everything,
body sinks down-
                          ward  into (its self), soil, oneness
repeat: until
ALL IS.
forgotten

Explanation: This is a moment I had while I was sitting and walking at the Henry Clay Estate. The significance is relayed in the piece by revealing the extraordinary in the ordinary day to day activity of walking and being outside.





2 comments:

  1. This is interesting James, it seems like a train of thought that could pass entirely through someone's head in five seconds but you've stretched it out and examined every piece. Good use of line spacing and text size to help get your point across.

    curiously feeling for the first time, making new from same;
    what same? boredom and lack of imagination creates the same,
    isolating intervals (to reach a goal, to solve puzzles, to reduce
    conduce, contrive) no time...
    I like this passage because it reduces everything down with such simplicity, "making new from the same" and then later in the same paragraph the statements here get smashed with your definition of "here' which I agree with because, no matter how many times I do something, I always feel like I'm doing something new instead of the same thing I did yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James, I've had this same feeling before when reading Dos Passos' Camera Eye: what is he talking about? Of course, I mean that as a compliment. While I can't make "sense" of your thoughts, I admire the stream-of-consciousness, your abandonment of logic and order (not easy to do!), and your basic desire to put an epiphany into language. My favorite part, though, has to be the note in the summary, which locates this moment on the Henry Clay estate. The venerable legislator was a wordsmith himself and must be rolling in his grave! Well done.

    ReplyDelete