Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Camera Eye


This was not what was expected to happen. This is not what we stayed up dreaming for every night. This was never supposed to be the plan. So why is this happening to me at this very moment?

 As the sticky humid air created some sort of dry breeze thoughts in my head were screaming negatives so loud that the birds singing in the trees could hear them roar.
“Why do this to yourself?” “This is going to be a disappointment!” “You’re going to be a disappointment!” “Is this really worth all the time that you have?”

All the conversations remained the same. Nothing changed. Every second of every hour of ever day it was the same questions… “What is your major?” As if they actually cared… “What is your favorite hobby?” As if they were actually interested… “What is your favorite thing to do?” As if they were not listening to the question before. Was the problem not they, but I? Which one of us had the power to fix it?

This was the last stop for the day. Everything else was done and over with. Making it through this house would be an unspoken accomplishment in the eyes of a weak, terrified, young freshman. As the first terrifying monster stepped up, a friendly “Hello” escaped from her lips with ease and pride. She was prideful of who she was. She was at ease taking to newbies. Is it possible... She actually could be nice?

Being made to feel at home is precious and courteous gesture that no one has to ever extend. Knowing you are at home when leaving a place that is a special feeling that you very rarely every experience…And in that moment I knew where my new home would be. It would be with my new-formed sisters.

AOII till we die!

3 comments:

  1. Great repetition of thoughts to allow a sense of suspense and unfolding to occur. I genuinely enjoyed reading this piece in it's almost existential approach. I liked how you were questioning the interest and motives of others while being questioned. The inevitable uncertainty that was being relayed made for an interesting read and anyone trying out new situations can empathize with these awkward situations we put ourselves in. Overall, excellent job and I am glad you found your sistas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this a lot! I am not in a sorority but the same goes for just finding people at school that you click with. There are the people where you think what the heck did I get myself into and then there are the people (like your sister) where you connect. I like how intensely this unfolds and I like how you bolded the questions and stuff you were being asked and told. The opening thoughts are really intense it feels like we were there with you in your thoughts. I like how you leave it open to what is going to happen but at the same time I was so drawn in by your language. I really like all the questions as well because they are things that are always the topic of conversation when you get to school and just how someone asks those questions really can change your outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this post! I can really relate to it because I also went through recruitment. I think it portrays rush week really well because it was basically really stressful and awful but in the end it is worth it. I like the part about the questioning about what your major is and what you like doing because, you truly know that they don’t care. It was really hard to think anyone was sincere that first day. Although it is a rough week, it is nice at the end when you finally find your home as well as about one hundred new sisters.

    ReplyDelete