While listening to this pod cast, “Little War on the
Prairie” I was shocked that such a big part of the town’s history was kept from
the people who live there. It is crazy to me to think that John Biewen could be
riding downtown where someone was hung, and have no idea about it happening. I
admire his quest to find out. I enjoyed act one when he met up with Gwen
Westermen. You can tell by her raw emotion what kind of impact that this hidden
past had on the people of the town. I was surprised that you had to drive into
someone’s driveway to find the historic site. John states that it its hard for him to picture the story
that the plaque tells about how the war started and, it makes me wonder how I
would feel if something like this was kept from me in my town. It is
unbelievable when he is describing the museum that just sits on the side of the
highway. How can something so important in history be treated like this? I was
relieved to find out that they now put it apart of the curriculum in schools.
Something so big should be taught in schools everywhere, especially in the area
it took place in.
I was also shocked that even the people of this town were not aware of its rich history. Even all the evidence of the history in their town is somewhat hidden away, out of view, and not to be talked about. Even these "landmarks" that are hidden that seem to have the towns history on them leave out crucial parts of the story. It is shocking that people all over the place ignore the history and especially people in the town where such events occurred. History like this should not be glossed over.
ReplyDeleteIt seems we all kind of felt shocked about the obliviousness of these people towards their own surroundings. I like the idea of questioning about these same things being kept from you. If there was a significant piece of history that had happened in your town and was being hidden from you because... why, exactly? Embarrassment? It's odd to me that such a rich culture can just slip between the cracks so quickly.
ReplyDeleteI feel as if we all had a similar reaction when listening to the pod cast. It is very shocking and depressing knowing that the people that live in the town do not know the towns history or what took place in the town. In the pod cast the town was described as boring and quiet however people that live in the town do not know the events that took place there. It is sad to think that people can be so clueless about tragic events that have happened in their own town.
ReplyDelete