Monday, April 1, 2013

While I was listening to the podcast I was struck by the obliviousness of the people who lived there towards their past.  At the very beginning of the podcast they said something about "nothing ever happening there" and goes on to reveal what has actually happened there, and how nobody knows about it.  John says he can walk down the street to the mall and ride past the Pizza Hut where these important historical places were and didn't know a thing about them.  Nobody talked about it, nobody taught it in schools, and it was the most significant event in the state's history.  It's bizarre that these people will not recognize history, just because they were the oppressors.  The numbers of Native casualties suffered during the founding of the New World is often glossed over in history, rarely is history with Native Americans involved rarely just ignored as is the case here.  They talk about the monument that was created for five white settlers that were killed by Native Americans that begun the whole war.  There was a monument to the white settlers that were killed, but the narrator seems to question the legitimacy of this story.  Target shooting between friends turns to gunning down men in cold blood?  I found it odd how there was a monument for the five dead white men, yet the biggest battle in the history of the state, even bigger than the Little Big Horn, they said, was an unknown to half of the city in which it happened.  It shows you how history is written by the winners, and the New World being founded is a prime example of that.  According to history, we were fulfilling our destined-by-God manifest destiny and creating the greatest nation on Earth. That might not be too accurate, again glossing over the gore and the horror that we also created.

1 comment:

  1. I think you pick up some great points in here, Sam. You are absolutely right that history is written by the winners; but now that we recognize this, how can we refute it? I think it helps that we have so much technology, which allows for the telling of different sides, but it can also be a detriment because there is SO much information at our fingertips that we don't know what is true or how to wade through it effectively. Usually, that ends in us getting a partial picture or just plain giving up.

    I think it's interesting that you use the word choice "oblivious" to describe this scenario. I think if most of us dug into our town histories, we would find ourselves to be pretty oblivious. We often don't question what is right in front of our faces, as it is something we walk past everyday and in that sense, have already "mapped." Do I think twice about the trough that splits one of the roads in my town? Not really, except to note that it's an annoyance to drive around; every once in a while, I'll wonder what it's there for, but I forget to look it up by the time I get home. It's the same reason that New Yorkers often do not go see the tourist attractions, like Ellis Island or the Statue of Liberty. So I don't think we can criticize them too badly for what was in front of their faces but unrecognizable. What might be happening in your hometown that you may have overlooked?

    ReplyDelete