Monday, March 4, 2013

Living Newspaper Proposal

A Living Newspaper on climate change could be an interesting subject to research and also present. It's a relatively broad concept, but we could focus on specific issues that effect the people of the world which could make it more relevant to class... Climate change has many layers to it. Economical: as in what we believe (materially) is necessary... coal, oil, cars, factories, etc. How businesses mindlessly produce and consume... Environmental issues: the gradual heating up of the planet, the impact on living creatures, including the human race. But also, the perks of recognizing this potential catastrophe and attempting to remedy it through mindfulness and unity with self and world, people, and the people with the world, by consuming less and returning to more self-sufficient means of survival, ie. gardening, farming, sewing, etc. Fairly large project to pursue, but could be interesting and gratifying to know more about this subject.

3 comments:

  1. I am very intrigued by the climate change topic that you proposed. When reading your post at first I did not see how this would be a relevant topic to the project, however when further reading your thoughts and what we could incorporate into the project and presentation it makes since and would tie together nicely. I like the thought of tying the different factors that can cause climate change into the presentation along with how we get good out of the problem with an explanation of how we can fix this problem. This is a topic to consider and keep in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great idea to pursue, James. I would recommend defining the topic more narrowly, as otherwise it might get too large, as you suggested it might. This may come with time and research, if your group does choose this topic. One thing that I would be interested in is how you will be looking to tie this idea to citizenship? Are we talking in more economic factors of who can afford to have an environmentally safe habitat? Or are we talking about these things on a more deep ecological level, with the view that human identity and consciousness are tied up with our natural habitat? I think it would be wise to choose one way that this ties to citizenship and pursue that to limit yourselves and the research that you'll be doing, as no matter what you choose to limit yourselves, you'll be potentially working with research from opposing sides, or on some kind of scale from agreement to disagreement.

    I also think it would be interesting to start to consider how you'll want to present this issue? Would it be a "green" methodology? If so, what would that look like? How might it jive/not jive with the particular audience you're presenting it to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this could be a really cool idea, its all everyone talks about and i know personally i haven't looked that far into it but i would like to. You mentioned the use of coal which could be a big presenting point since Kentucky does use a lot of coal and i know there has been some issues on campus regarding funding from the coal companies and naming buildings after them and how that presents UK as a whole and what other things we could do to reduce our carbon footprint in Lexington which could be something to explore since we all live here at least during part of the year. I like this idea, its all around us and i personally am not very educated on the subject and since it is up and coming maybe its something i should look into

    ReplyDelete